Top 5 Stock Screeners in India
Created on 10 May 2022
Wraps up in 7 Min
Read by 7.7k people
Updated on 07 Oct 2022
“Pathetic” is the word to describe the quality of data we get from two major vendors. We'd say their reliability is as mediocre as Sabyasachi lehengas at celeb weddings.
Jobs, freelancing, starting a business, everything revolves around one thing: making money.
But in today's time, it is next to impossible to make ends meet with just a single source of income.
You need to be able to create multiple sources of income to live a comfortable and happy life. As it is said, "it is hard becoming rich working as an employee with mundane income. You have to own the stuff". Stocks, real estate, gold, and businesses provide you with such ways.
They help you if you find a way to make your money work for you. The idle sitting money in your bank account with minimal or no rate of interest cannot grow but rather will depreciate in value in due time. Ah!! The sweet-bitter relationship between interest rate and inflation.
That's why it's important to invest your money. But today, more than 7400 companies are listed in NSE and BSE. This makes it hard for an investor to filter out good companies if not for stock screeners.
What is a Stock Screener?
A stock screener comprises a set of tools that allow investors to quickly filter out specific stocks from a wide range of available stocks. It has filters that have a certain idea of the types of companies you want to invest in.
Stock screeners can be both free as well as subscription-based. For the newbie investors, a free stock screener can be very useful based on the following factors :
- It should have all the listed companies in the database.
- It should have either a web-based or application-based platform or both.
- It should have some basic filters to differentiate the stocks.
- It should generate a pros and cons list to give a rough understanding of the stock to the investor.
Down the line, a subscription-based screener can be looked upon as per requirements.
What are the advantages of using a stock screener over a traditional method?
- A stock screener helps save time: It presents us with all the related data in one go.
- A stock screener helps monitor stocks: It gives important news updates on the stocks and keeps the data up-to-date.
- A stock screener helps take unbiased decisions: It presents us with facts and figures, thus avoiding emotional biases and hasty decisions.
The best stock screeners now in India are as follows.
Tickertape is one of India's leading screeners, which can be accessed via the same credentials as that of brokers like Zerodha, Upstox, Groww, Angle one, 5paisa, HDFC Sec, Axis Direct, IIFL Sec, Alice Blue, Kotak Sec, Motilal Oswal, ICICIdirect, Trustline.
Many people use this website to check stock, especially those who are just starting out in the stock market and looking for a good company to invest in. Tickertape can be used to make a better trade. That is why it is so popular among traders and stock market investors.
The main features of Tickertape are:
- It has an easy to use interface.
- It has a collection of 100+ filters which are easy to customise
- It has a market mood indicator which depicts the sentiments of the market.
- It shows the stocks deals, which shows the bulk deal carried out by HNIs. (High Net-Worth Individuals)
What makes "Tickertape pro" - Pro?
- Data export: Enables you to obtain data across different asset classes.
- Advance screening:
- It gives you 'Premium screens', which have prebuilt screens based on a particular theme or idea.
- Gives you access to 200+ pro filters
- It has unlimited custom filters
- Can build unlimited 'custom universes' based on your ideas and themes, which can be linked to your active watch list
- Investment Insights: Gives additional information such as-
- Default probability
- Quality check
- Growth score
- Stock Forecasts: Predicts the future trend of the stock. It provides you with-
- Price Forecast
- EPS forecast
- Revenue Forecast
- Key metrics: This allows you to screen stocks based on the key metrics that resonate with your theme and objective.
Ticker by Finology
Like Google, Ticker brands itself as "Investing ka search Engine: The modern stock screener that helps you pick better stocks." Due to its easy to use design and advanced Artificial Intelligence integration, Ticker is among the top stock screeners in India. It is a tool designed to assist you with intelligent and smart stock picking with three-way assistance.
Like Tickertape, it also comes with a subscription model - Ticker Plus, but unlike Tickertape Pro, which is sold separately, Ticker plus comes along with Finology One. Finology One gives you added filters, tools and bundles in Ticker with 25+ Courses on Quest and 15+ stocks on Recipe.
The main features of Ticker by Finology are :
- It has an easy to use interface.
- One of the best in the market as a free version tool.
- It has more than 1200 ratios for investors to select from and has a feature of smart suggestions for the ratios.
- It comprises prebuilt screens having calculated ratios and described ideas to help kickstart the investment journey.
- It is a very beginner-friendly tool. For example, a newbie may not be aware of the parent company of Maggi. So he can simply search the brand "Maggi", and Ticker will show the data of the parent company.
What gives TickerPlus a Plus?
- It gives exclusive assorted premium bundles that help in strategic investing.
- Common size statement
- This gives investors the idea of revenue or sales in terms of percentage.
- It helps you identify the true value of a stock.
- It comes with Dupont analysis, EPS Multiple approaches, Book value analysis, and Discounted cash flows and where their parameters are used in combination, they direct the investor towards fair valuation.
- Give access to Smart Portfolio.
- Add up to 50 companies along with a watchlist of 100 companies.
- Plus includes additional features like con calls, updating you with only the relevant news cutting the noise, presentations etc.
Screener is another well-known stock screener in India. It is an easy-to-use website for stock analysis. It can be used to read, analyse, and filter companies based on different metrics. It has a large database of companies and can show the company's performance for the past 10-12 years. The platform provides its users with information about the industry in which the company operates, stock P/E, market capitalisation, and book price information about the company. Screener also has two plans.
- Hobby Investor (free plan)
- Active investor (paid plan)
The main features of Screener are :
- Let you create stock screens with up to 2 screen alerts.
- Investors can follow up to 50 companies to keep track of them
- Shows key insights of stocks limited to 20 per month.
- Allows to set custom ratios
- Lets the investor set 15 columns for comparison
- Lets investors customise export to excel
What makes a hobby investor(free plan) an active investor(paid plan)?
- Lets investors follow unlimited companies with unlimited screen alerts
- Screener does have a clause that unlimited access has internal limits on a few resources.
- Segment results with quarterly result tracker
- 50 columns for comparison instead of the 15 in the free version
- Gives you up to 300 key insights per month
- Lets you download screen results and watchlists
- It has a feature of detailed peer comparison
- Provides priority support
Capital Cubes is one of the largest stock screeners available for use. Created by AnalytixInsights, an AI company that converts data into information. Capital Cube provides company analysis and portfolio assessment, basic to advance research, etc. It makes decision-making easier for investors by providing an in-depth analysis of the company's past performance, benefits and liabilities, budget strength and equity, and performance compared to peers. It comes in 3 versions:
- Premium Pack
- Pro Pack
The main features of Screener are :
- Easy to use interface
- Natural Search can be performed.
- Example: If an investor wants to search for debt-free companies or high ROE stocks, he can directly search "debt-free" or "high roe", respectively.
- Has a collection of 40k global equities.
- Allows in-depth peer-to-peer comparison
Capital cube premium and pro pack benefits :
- Downloadable reports with deep analysis (part of the pro pack)
- Downloadable screener data
- Company news and alerts
- Technical charting
- Option to customise peers (part of the pro pack)
TradingView is another stock screener which allows stock analysis across the globe with cryptoanalysis as well.TradingView has a huge customer base because of its free features.
Traders and investors alike love this tool, and some even subscribe to the Pro version. The free features can be accessed even without registration. A subscription can be considered when an investor needs more features for in-depth analysis. The subscription model for TradingView is divided into four categories, viz.
The main features of TradingView are :
- Worldwide market coverage
- Create custom screener
- Provides three main filters: Fundamental, technical and descriptive, apart from other filters. You can even choose all.
- You can export the screener.
- Multi Timeframe setting
- Allows to set custom columns like performance, valuations, balance sheet etc
- TradingView Alerts automatically applies alerts to current active filters.
- For example, if an alert is set for a new all-time high, TradingView will alert when the stock makes a new all-time high.
How does the feature chart change from Basic to Premium?
- Pro onwards TradingView is ad-free.
- The number of charts per tab can be up to 8.
- Allows setting a custom time interval. Can change frequency between 1 min to 12 months
- Indicators per chart can be up to 25
- Export strategy data
- Up to 400 alerts can be set on price, indicators, drawing and strategies.
- Improved customer support
Apart from these, there are many available screeners like Investing.com, Trendlyne, Stockflare, etc. Google finance and Moneycontrol also used to provide stock screener functionality, but it is no longer available. But the data store of google finance and Moneycontrol can still be used to analyse stocks.
How was this article?
Like, comment or share.
Share your thoughts
We showed you ours, now you show us yours (opinions 😉)
Why not start a conversation?
Looks like nobody has said anything yet. Would you take this as an opportunity to start a discussion or a chat fight may be.
More titbits on the go
Analysing Tata Elxsi with Tanushree Banerjee
17 Feb 2023
Airtel VS Jio: Detailed Analysis & Review
19 Jan 2023
The Corporate Profit from Human Extinction
01 Oct 2022
Amazon Origin and Success Story
07 Jul 2022